Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering / Univ. of ArizonaAdrian Lizarraga
Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering, Univ. of Arizona / zyBooks
- Introduction to Java
- Variables / Assignments
- User-defined Methods
- Objects and Classes
- Memory Management
- Input / Output
- Abstract Class and Interfaces
- 600 participation activities with questions, animations, and tools.
- Over 120 auto-graded programming challenge activities that use the built-in zyBooks programming environment.
- Configurable sections support early and late introduction to methods and objects
- Additional material includes command-line arguments and engineering examples.
A web-based programming in Java practice environment is provided to compile and execute code in one place, while “tinker” tools including responsive compiler messages allow students to develop an intuition and skill for coding.
The zyBooks Approach
Provides interactive learning of programming in Java foundations. Emphasizes a solid understanding of memory. From the moment variables are introduced, the material shows via animations how variables exist and are updated in memory. The continued showing of memory helps clarify challenging topics like pass-by-copy/reference parameters, object creation, garbage collection, and more. Furthermore, the material includes emphasis on disciplined program development, including incremental development, modular development, and testing/debugging.
The Programming in Java zyBook can also be mix-and-matched with others, such as with Data Structures Essentials (a popular combination).Evaluate