- Variables and Assignments
- User-Defined Functions
- Input and Output
- ~550 participation activities: Questions, animations, tools
- 110+ auto-graded programming challenge activities using built-in programming environment
- Includes focus on solid understanding of memory usage, pointers, and arrays
- Configurable sections support early/late introduction to functions
- Additional material includes modular compilation and engineering examples
A web-based programming practice environment is provided to compile and execute code in one place, while “tinker” tools – which include responsive compiler messages – allow students to develop an intuition and skill for coding.
The zyBooks Approach
Provides interactive learning of programming foundations and C. Emphasizes a solid understanding of memory. From the moment variables are introduced, the material shows via animations how variables exist and are updated in memory. The continued showing of memory throughout helps clarify challenging topics like pass-by-copy/pointer parameters, arrays, pointers, and more. Furthermore, the material includes emphasis on disciplined program development, including incremental development, modular development, and testing/debugging.
This zyBook can also be mix-and-matched with others, such as with Data Structures Essentials (a popular combination).
“The most striking aspect of ZyBooks for me as an instructor has been the ability to introduce a topic and then point my students to specific exercises/activities in ZyBooks that would not only expound on the concept but allow them to practice them with confidence.”
– Ramesh Yerraballi, Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Electrical & Comp Engrs, UT Austin